Facial acupuncture is a great way to enhance overall facial skin care as it aims to improve the quality of the skin, tone and complexion by relieving emotional and physical tension from the face and stimulating the facial muscles, fascia and blood supply.
Small wrinkles often disappear or reduce to a minimum and larger wrinkles can fade and soften. A change in the complexion is often very noticeable as it begins to even out during the course of a treatment. The treatment has also been known to successfully address bags and dark rings under the eyes and general puffiness and sagging of the face.
Facial acupuncture treatment in Tunbridge Wells in now available at the Holistic Health Centre on Mount Ephraim.
Sagging of the face can be affected by acupuncture if it is slight and there still remains a degree of elasticity in the skin. For more information or to book an appointment for facial acupuncture please click here.
The Facial Acupuncture Treatment
The treatment consists of:
- The Consultation
- Short Face Massage (to help relax the muscles of the face and to stimulate blood flow)
- Body Balancing Treatment
- The acupuncture procedure itself
Very fine and exceptionally high quality, one time use disposable needles are used during the treatment and are inserted into the skin by only a matter of millimeters. The needles are left in place for 15-20 minutes. The face massage is given prior to the acupuncture to also help further relax the facial muscles, making the treatment a relatively low pain treatment and to help promote skin care.
The entire treatment duration is one hour however, we allow an extra 15 minutes for the first treatment for the consultation and facial analysis. We ask that all clients coming for this treatment arrive without make up.
A course is necessary for this kind of treatment as this will bring about the greatest effects.The timing between each treatment is also very important and needs to be arranged on a weekly or at the most, fortnightly basis. If a client is unable to pay for a course of facial treatments in order to benefit from the discounts offered, then we also offer pay as you go treatments at £65.
The client will also be given dietary advice and other helpful procedures that they can do at home to assist the overall effectiveness of the treatment. It is important that the client follows the advice of the practitioner in order to achieve maximum results and benefit the overall skin care. For more information or to book an appointment please click here.
It is typical for a client having facial acupuncture to notice the changes gradually over the course of sessions. The process is also very relaxing and soothing, although very slight and momentary discomfort can sometimes be felt upon insertion of the needles, especially in the areas where tension is held.
The technique used has been modified to ensure minimal discomfort and extra fine, hair like needles are used for the process to ensure the needle insertion is as smooth as possible.
Clients need to also be aware that the treatment can cause very minor bruising although this is very uncommon. If this should occur it is nothing to be concerned about and will fade within days. Arnica cream is also a very effective lotion for taking the bruise away very quickly and also helping to promote skin care.
Facial acupuncture and face massage treatment can also be good for facial neuralgia, bells palsy, facial ticks and facial paralysis.
The treatment that I offer is more than just a superficial process as I always treat the client as an individual, addressing specifically their needs and wants and also providing nourishment and support for the whole body through the body balancing treatment.
Working this way also helps assist the client on an emotional level therefore many people also find it an effective form of stress relief and often report sleeping better at night as well as an overall increased sense of peace and well being. By helping to relieve emotional blockages the person may be holding in the face as well as the body, acupuncture and face massage can also be useful in the treatment of depression however, full body acupuncture is required to address this condition thoroughly and efficiently.
Skin Care Tips (Taken from ‘Cosmetic Acupuncture’ by Radha Thambirjah)
How to help prevent and treat wrinkles at home
- Use an egg face pack, prepared as follows. Beat a whole egg in a bowl. Using a brush, paint your face and neck with the egg. Repeat after 10 minutes. Wait until it dries well – do not make facial expressions during this time. Wash off 20 minutes after second application. Using a light moisturiser afterwards, as the egg is quite drying.
- Mung bean face pack. Soak green mung beans (broken) overnight in water. Grind them in a wet grinder or processor the next morning. Spread as a thick paste on your face and neck (this is also very good for the hair, but is difficult to remove before washing). After 30 minutes, remove the paste. Wash face and moisturise. These two packs are nourishing for the skin and good for the overall skin care when applied weekly. The mung paste mask will also help to remove facial hair. However, both face masks are quite drying and the skin needs to be moisturised afterwards.
What to do against swollen, puffy eyelids
- Dissolve two tablespoons of sea salt in a cup of water; thinly slice a cucumber and soak the slices in this water.Store in the refrigerator. Lie down and place the cucumber slices on eyelids for 10 minutes (keep eyes shut) before washing off. Try not to get any salt water into the eyes as it will sting.
- Avoid eating after 6pm. If hungry, eat a light minestrone soup.
For patients with acne vulgaris
- Avoid refined sugars and chocolates.
- Avoid full-fat milk products.
- Avoid fried foods.
- Cut down on refined carbohydrates and eat wholegrain foods.
- Those who are constipated should make sure their bowels move regularly – take two teaspoons of linseed with cereal or muesli every morning.
- Eat a pear a day, either raw or stewed, including the skin.
- Do some cardiovascular activity.
- Clean the skin thoroughly in the mornings and evenings, and apply a hot towel near the skin to steam the skin for 5 minutes. Then apply a light moisturiser. Do not pick at the pimples.
- Crab apple – a preparation of Bach flower remedies is a natural cleanser for bowels and skin. Take two drops in a sip of water three times daily.
These are just some tips that can help the overall skin care of the face and can help to assist the face massage and facial acupuncture treatments. To book an appointment for facial acupuncture please click here.
(Video by EndlessBeauty.com)
Acupuncture has many uses to help heal and assist the body. One popular use of acupuncture is with the assistance of fertility and also as a support treatment to IVF. For more information about this kind of treatment, please click here.