Acupuncture has been found to be effective in assisting fertility for both males and females. Studies have also shown that acupuncture can be helpful in supporting fertility in conjunction with IVF treatment.
As an acupuncturist, I also specialise in acupuncture for fertility and have supported many women through both IVF and IUI processes using acupuncture with good success. I have also helped women achieve a natural pregnance with acupuncture treatmnet.
Infertility for both males and females is an increasing issue and nowadays many people are turning to acupuncture for fertility treatment.
Although acupuncture treatment can help in the cases of both male and female infertility, generally speaking women are coming for this kind of treatment more so than men. This is partly due to the female reproductive system being far more complicated, but also it seems that generally speaking, women have a greater awareness of and a willingness towards the treatment options available to them.
If the fertility issue is discovered to lie predominantly with one partner, it is very beneficial for both partners to receive acupuncture treatment however, the person presenting the issue will have more regular treatment.
Acupuncture For Fertility In Tunbridge Wells – IVF Treatment
Many women come for acupuncture for fertility once they have already started their IVF (In Vitro Fertilisation treatment), asking for assistance with acupuncture for infertility. Of course it can help greatly in any case, but a greater awareness of acupuncture and how it works is needed.
A patient coming for treatment would benefit far more and make the likelihood of their infertility treatment much more successful if they were to start their course of acupuncture at least three to six months before commencing the IVF treatment. This enables the acupuncturist to prepare the woman’s body and bring it into a more receptive state. If you would like to ask me a question or to book an appointment please click here…
Massage treatment may also be beneficial in supporting fertility if stress is a factor. Please read here for more information on massage treatment in Tunbridge Wells.
A few things to consider at home:
In the cases of what Western medicine term ‘unexplained infertility’ (ie where there is no physical blockage in or damage to the uterus, ovaries and fallopian tubes), there are several things a person can do to improve their rate of fertility.
- Diet is crucial. Ensuring that you eat healthy and organic foods where possible as these tend to have a higher degree of nutrients. Ensure you get a good daily dose of omega-3, omega-6 and essential fats from products like oily fish and avocados. Avoid hydrogenated fats found in products like crisps and margerine for example as well as saturated fats from meat and dairy products.
- Take supplements. Unfortunately due to our food not being as nutritious as it use to be because of preservatives and other chemicals added to our food nowadays, it will also be necessary to take supplements and in particular, zinc. Zinc is the main mineral essential for fertility in both men and women and shockingly 9 out of 10 people on average present a zinc deficiency. In my experience, zinc orotate is a good one to go for as it seems to be more easily absorbed by the body. Women should look to be getting about 30mg per day. 1000mg of vit C per day as well as 1000mg of linseed or flax oil a day is also highly recommended along with a multivitamin designed for pregnant women.
- Don’t smoke. Smokers are shown to be 60% more likely to be infertile than non-smokers.
- Avoid caffeine. Studies have shown that even as little as one cup of coffee per day can greatly limit your chances of conceiving.
- Avoid alcohol. Alcohol interferes with ovulation and menstruation in women and effects sperm count and motility in men. Alcohol also disturbs the liver and causes liver problems, effecting the body’s ability to produce the amino acids necessary for cell development. Proper cell development is essential for reproduction.
- Ensure you have a healthy body fat ratio or BMI (Body Mass Index). Too skinny is just as bad as being too fat. However, a woman needs a healthy amount of fat to help conception and should be looking to have a BMI of about 20-25%. Under 20% is considered to be on the low side for a woman looking to conceive.Acupuncture in Pregnancy:
It is fairly common for a woman to experience various symptoms during her pregnancy, many of which can be treated with acupuncture . Symptoms such as morning sickness, lower back pain, constipation and carpel tunnel syndrome to name but a few can often be helped with acupuncture treatment.
Acupuncture in pregnancy is also commonly used to help turn a breech baby and also to induce if the mother goes past her due date. If the mother is experiencing no adverse symptoms of her pregnancy then it is generally better to leave things be and let nature take it’s course.
However, it is also favorable for the mother-to-be, to come for an acupuncture treatment in the third and sixth month of her pregnancy as this is a special time that an acupuncturist can perform a simple treatment that will help to strengthen the foetus.
Acupuncture treatment after the baby’s birth:
Many women recover well after giving birth however, some women suffer from various symptoms, one of the most common being post-natal depression. This is usually due to a severe loss of blood during the birth. A lack of lactation, mastitis and also even an over production of milk can also be assisted through acupuncture treatment.
Acupuncture In Pregnancy: Diet Advice During Pregnancy (From ‘Holistic Woman’s Herbal’, by Kitty Campion):
With all diet requirements it is best to eat the right foods rather than take supplements (unless vegetarian).
Iron: Fish, egg yoke, dried fruits, red, dark green, purple vegetables especially beetroot. Brewers yeast powder (for vegans), pulses, sunflower seeds, spirulina – (the richest source of Vit B12) it is good for vegetarians and is twice as easily absorbed as B12 from vegetables and meat. Animal organic liver.
By increasing levels of Vit C you increase Iron absorption.
Floradix is a good liquid supplement, (herbal tablets cause constipation).
Vitamin B12: fish, meat, dairy, spirulina.
Folic Acid: Fruit and vegetables, especially dark green vegetables, brewers yeast, oyster, salmon, whole grains. Take care, can be destroyed during cooking.
Folic acid manufactures DNA, red blood cells, when deficient causes irritability, sluggishness, lesions at the side of the mouth, forgetfulness.
Zinc deficiency causes colic in babies, especially since a lot of zinc is lost at birth causing depletion. Male babies, especially since a lot of zinc is lost at birth causing depletion. Male babies absorb 5x more zinc than females, hence many boys are zinc deficient later causing non-descended testicles.
Colostrum has a high level of zinc, if a woman has low levels of zinc there may be a problem since it is needed for foetal growth and birth.
If you would like to book an appointment for acupuncture treatment in Tunbridge Wells then please get in touch via the contact page or call directly on the number above. I look forward to hearing form you.